Saturday, June 18, 2011

June 16/17

by the way its a 4 hour time difference from Ghana to Charleston

We flew to the night to Accra. It was a long flight and I did not get much sleep. When I finally did get sleep and wake up we were over Africa. I was beginning to get really excited. About 45 minutes before we landed we hit turbulence. I was standing going back to my seat when this happened. As I was walking we hit this major air pocket and the plane dropped a little. I am pretty sure it was this air pocket that has made me so dizzy. Finally we made it to Accra, Ghana. We had a lot of fun finding everyone's luggage and our six boxes of books. One box did not make it to Ghana with us...it went to JFK instead. We will pick it up tomorrow. Once we made it out of the airport we found our little mini bus. We loaded everyones big luggage on top. I was so worried it would fall off and our clothes would be all over Accra! My first look at Ghana was crazy. We were going so fast I could not take everything in.
We arrived at our hotel with just enough time to settle in and head to Parliment. When we arrived at our hotel they served us with fresh pinapple juice...yummy. Then we were off to parliament. They took us into the chamber room where all the heads of state meet. We even got to sit in their seats. After that we headed to dinner in a downtown area of Accra. We exchanged money first and had our first meeting with street vendors. They kept bugging us to buy but we kept saying no. You have to get almost mean before they will leave you alone. Its like dealing with a car salesman. :) At dinner I had a fanta and a pizza. I know...its not a Ghana meal but I wasnt sure what to eat. My only complaint right now is that I am still really dizzy and I hope it goes away really soon.

I will try to post pictures when I can. I am not sure if I will be able to because the internet is worse than dial up back home.

Love you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment