Friday, June 24, 2011

Today was a better day. It was cloudy out so it wasn't as hot
and it didn't bother me as much. Our lesson today was about adjectives. I read
a book to the kids and I have never seen kids so involved in a book. Not that
my kids in my class don’t pay attention but they never made a sound only to
laugh at the funny parts. They act this way because they do not get read to a
lot so it was a treat. We are interviewing our teacher, Jonah, he is very kind
and I think he really enjoys talking with us. In Ghanaian cultural they do not
talk much about how they feel or plan ahead for things, but I think it makes
him feel good that we want to learn about him. One thing that I think is
amazing about the Ghanaian cultural is that they are happy with what they have.
In American we are always working harder for something else and they are happy
in their station in life. I do not look at their cultural and think "wow,
there is so much they need" or think that they if they only knew
such-and-such was available in the world they would be better. They are happy
with their way of life.

Teaching in these classrooms is an experience. They have open
ceilings so you can hear the teachers around you. I have to wonder if they can
hear me, can they actually learn in this environment? I am amazed at what these
teachers do here. We are trying to share ideas with them so that the students
have more interaction and creativity with their lessons. It is hard because
they are limited on what they have.


My Class

This afternoon was relaxing. We were tourist today. We visited
Elmina Castle which was huge in the slave trade to America. I took a lot of pictures.
It was an amazing place to visit and a lot to take in. I can’t wait to bring
this back to my classroom. After being tourist we went to Coconut grove and had
dinner. It is a tourist sport for tourist who are not actually experiencing
Cape Coast. It is pretty and it would be nice to stay there a day or two but I
do like our hotel because it is just us so we make it feel like home. The staff
jokes with us and practices our fante. Elmina Castle



No comments:

Post a Comment