Thursday, June 30, 2011

June 30

Hello all! Sorry I haven't had time to write anything on here. Sunday - Tuesday of this week Chastity and I were responsible for writing on our blog page for the group. We do a lot of writing... journal writing, blog writing, my personal blog writing, and our narrative writing. It's a lot!!!
However, I really want to share a couple of things. I have been able to hand out a couple of things that I have bought and its been amazing. Last week we had kids from T.H.I.S take us around their village. My buddy Dominic was my guide. He was so excited to show me everything. The most touching moment of the entire day was when this little girl around 2 fell down. She was crying. I reached out my hand and she got up to take it. She did not let go. Finally we came close to the river and Dominic told me that she would have to stay and could not go any further with us. When I had to let go she just cried and cried. Broke my heart. We continued our walk around and I came across this little girl who Dominic called his "cousin" she was about 7 years old. I gave her one of the dressed Mrs. Mizzel made me. She was so excited. Later I came across a group of women making foo-foo and spoke with them briefly. After out conversation I gave them a Bible. They were so grateful and continued to tell me "God Bless You" until I was out of sight. Later another little girl came up to me, Belinda. She first said "Madame, I would like a dress." She said it so softly that I could not understand her. Finally after the craziness settled down I asked her again what she said. I could not say no to her. I gave her a dress. A few days later Belinda showed up at the school one afternoon wearing the dress. I gave Dominic a soccer ball, a Bible, and a picture of the two of us. I wrote him a little note telling him to always remember John 3:16. The next day he came up to me telling me that what I wrote meant so much to him. A little girl in my class that is always smiling, Veronica, I also gave a dress and a Bible to. She was so excited but I told her to take it home so the other children would not take it. She had the biggest smile ever. A couple of members on this trip have also asked me for Bibles so they can hand them out and I have been more than happy to give it to them.
On Wednesday we went on a Canopy Walk in and above the rain forest. AMAZING!!! The walk up was killer on my knee. The steps are not even and they have laid stones to help with the walk. But once we got to the top the pain getting up was so worth it. I was just amazed. We were about 100 feet in the air on these bridges. We basically made a circle crossing 7 bridges. It was so cool .
Today, Thursday, we went to the Abaasa Village to meet he chief and see the village. This village is very poor. It was about a 3 mile bumpy ride from the main road to the village. After we met with the chief they showed us around the village taking us to the Methodist Church that Paula and her husband raised money to build and to the library. We brought books to donate to their library that sits very empty, but they use it. Then it was off to St. Cyprian's to visit the school we will be working with for the next week. The drive from our guest house to the school is about 45 minutes or so. The children greeted us with a song and they even put on a performance. We were very welcomed. We toured the school. Our classes are a lot smaller here than at T.H.I.S.
After next week we are headed to the North. I have no idea if we are taking our computers, if there will be Internet access. I just don't know. Please say a prayer for us as we have heard the roads are not good and it will take us about 6 hours to get there with no restrooms is site!!! This should be an adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment