Saturday, June 18, 2011

June 18

Today started off crazy. My roommate Jess and I got up late! They did not call us to wake us up. Dr. C told us not to depend on them because time is a state of mind over here. People get there when they get there. Tonight I will set my cell phone alarm. We went to the batik shop today (not sure if that is spelled correctly). We met Hannah who taught us how to put designs on cloth. They use wax and then dye it. I got two different designs on two different pieces of cloth. I paid 20 cedis (CD) for two yards of cloth. That is about 8 dollars. They were very sweet to us there. Some of the group got Hannah to make custom dresses for them. I said I would wait until we get to Cape Coast. After that we went to the coffin makers shop. This place was located right on the ocean. Coffins here can be traditional or they can be made in shapes. The ones we saw were in the shape of a shoe, crab, bottle, chicken, and a couple more. What an experience. After that we headed to lunch at the Good Neighbor Restaurant. I had my first Ghanaian meal here. I had red red, chicken, and plantains. It was pretty good. Not to sure about the red red. Its tomato based but it has black eyed peas and something else in it. Not a big black eyed pea fan... love the band...hate the pea. :) But I gave it a try.
Then we went to the Cultural Arts Center which is a big market where everyone tries to be your friend so you will buy their items. It was a little crazy at times. I was able to bargain a little and got better the more I did it. I bough a mask that has the symbol of hope on it, an elephant key chain, and coasters with decorations on it. Total I only spent 11 cedis which is about $5. I was proud. We are going back at the end of our trip so we can do a little more shopping. Our dinner was at this cute restaurant. I ordered pizza again only because the pineapple is so fresh. They were playing music during dinner and a couple of songs were American including Man in the Mirror by Michael Jackson. After that it was back to the hotel for bed. I am going to go to bed now it is 12:09 over here.

Night everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment